Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Wow. So much has happened it's hard to think about what to say!
     So far we have had our introductory walk through Jerusalem Old City and I have already been so overwhelmed. Jerusalem is a unique mix of religions and people groups, all squashed together in an ancient city that is easily walked across in only 15 minutes ( if you call walking through crowded markets easy)
      I would like to highlight one experience of my day so far, walking through the Church of the Seplucher. Built in 300’s AD, this church has stood over the traditional spot of the burial and crucifixion of Jesus. After walking through a crowded market, you make a sharp turn and find yourself in the courtyard before the church . It was hard to me to appreciate the place that Christ had victory over sin because of the history of the church and its present day condition. Each part of the church, dedicated to different parts of the crucifixion, is owned by a different church. Greek orthodoxs lay claim to the majority, but coptic’s from Egypt and others all lay claim to their own part of this ancient church. 
     Sadly, these groups often argue and fight over who gets to do what inside the church. Can the Greek orthodox’s ring bells? Can the catholics play the organ? and so forth. The ladder in the first picture has stayed for years on account of the fighting, whose job is it to take it down? Police are often called in to break the fighting Christians apart. And this is what happens on the ground on which Christ was crucified. Yet, the beauty of being where Christ conquered sin was still evident and I value my chance to see this beautiful city. I just wish there was more of a Christian presence in the city. Or at least a presence that was more positive and less ‘touristy’. 
      Now to breeze through the rest that Justin and I got to see today. There was so much that it is hard to pin-point anything! We saw ancient tombs from the time of Christ, walked over Byzantine period stones in the middle of a market place full of scarves (!), talked to an orthodox Jewish man, saw the Church of St. Anne (ancient church dedicated to the mother of mary)next to the pools of Bethesda (the pool at which Jesus healed the lame man), saw the Western Wall and the Mt. of Olives from the distance, and more!
Damascus Gate

Justin and I infront of the Pools of Bethesda

view from the Old City across the valley to the Mt. of Olives

just a glimpse of the old city markets!

the outside of the church of the holy sepluchre

This is all I have time to write tonight, as I have some school work to do. Pray that we will be able to learn more about our God and have a chance to love on so many of his lost people, especially the heavy Jewish and Muslim population we are in contact with.

2 comments:

  1. I am soooo thrilled that you're keeping a blog!!!! I love the pictures that we read about throughout God's word - it is soooo different than the pictures I have in my head!!!! I'm glad all is going well! I'm praying you'll be able to keep this up AND that it won't get in the way of your schoolwork! What a blessing you both are!!!! <3 and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! You get to walk around where everything took place (and scarf markets)- that's amazing! Please keep taking tons of pictures and videos when you guys can. I'm so excited to see everything when you get back. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete