Tuesday, June 26, 2012


       Today was 100% focused on Jesus. This was refreshing for my soul. I sometimes tend to lean to heavily on the Old Testament mindset. I think like one who has not received the greatest news in the world. This trip has refueled Justin & I’s desires to enter into full time ministry. Our calling oversees is one that we have both felt for our entire lives.
          Today I have heard and felt the words of Jesus more than ever before. I found his teachings and miracles playing over and over in my head as we walked from sight to sight, or as well sailed across the Sea of Galilee. It made Jesus seem so real and so human to me. I pictured him sitting in the boat or up on the mountain teaching the people. I could hear his words accompanied by the rustling grass, the crashing waves and the singing sparrows. The pages of the bible became alive.
           The humanity of Jesus really came alive to me today as we were sitting on the Mt. of Beatitudes and visited the church of the feeding of the five thousand. Justin asked me what I was thinking... and I was thinking that Jesus was looking across these hills and looking into the peoples eyes and having compassion. He looked in their eyes and did not send them over the rolling hills, to walk miles for supper.. No he cared for there needs there. He spoke to them and did not turn them away. He sat in the heat and taught for hours... until his throught was dry and he longed for a cool spot of shade! He traveled back and forth on the same lake to reach all of those he lived around. Jesus was human and saw the humanity of those around him.
          There is something about being where the stories all happened that makes you unable to disconnect yourself from the ‘realness’ of the text. These stories did happen here, to real people so many years ago. And for years and years Christians like me and visited these sites and heard the same words, read the same words, and sung songs on the hills of Galilee. 
There are of course more thoughts and prayers to tell all of you about... but I am finding myself asleep by 9:30 every night. I am so stinking tired! getting up and going going from 7:00am to 6:00 pm in 90 degree heat really takes it out of you. Our group jokes and says “we sweat where Jesus sweat” :)
Todah Rabbah (many thanks) for your time
and Shalom for now.
Leah Lechner

No comments:

Post a Comment